July 13, 2007

Title, Chapters, Paragraphs...

I've been thinking a lot about the title of this book lately. "The He-Coon Walks" will work fine for this blog. I'm not sure it's the title of the book though. I guess the structure of the book changes, at this point in the process, faster as you go down.

By that I mean that the title is gonna go through few changes, the names of the chapters will changer more frequently, paragraphs will be change constantly, and the words will be a blur.

I've been thinking about the title so much though that I'm not sure that's true. To me, the title has to capture the most distinctive and most important aspect of the subject in two, at most three words.

Crashing the Gate
. Just looking at my bookshelf, that pops out at me. Kingfish. Great title for another book about a colorful, Southern politician. What's the Matter with Kansas? Asking a question usually pulls the reader in. I think it rarely works though. This is a special case. Huey Long, as far as I know, only had one nickname for his long corrupt career. That makes the title easy.

So, the book title is still up in the air. It may change as much as the chapter titles. I'm almost certain one of the chapter titles is gonna involve turkeys.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

John, to borrow from Warren Zevon. "Dirty Life and Times" or "Desperadoes Under The Eaves"

My grandad would like both :)

Lawton