November 11, 2007

Chiles and His Florida: DeFuniak Springs


From the Walkin' Notes:

The kindness and generosity of the people in this part of Florida has completely overwhelmed me. I went to church yesterday in DeFuniak Springs at the First Presbyterian Church. When the service was over, I think just about everyone there came over and spoke to me. It was one of the most friendly groups of people I have ever seen.

Then, this morning, we parked our camper in downtown DeFuniak, and Mrs. R.D. Claussen, who runs a restaurant, came up and said she'd been following my walk since it first started and she would like very much to have me be her guest for lunch.


The former site of Mrs. Claussen's bus station restaurant, now a state's attorney office.

Gosh, what a wonderful lunch it was — fried chicken, turnip greens, blackeyed peas, rice and gravy and cornbread and chocolate cake. People keep asking me if I'm losing any weight, but with all the food everybody is giving me, there's no way in the world that I can lose weight, even with all this walking and talking.

No comments: