September 28, 2007

"I have to look at myself in the mirror"


When reporters at the Palm Beach Post asked Lawton Chiles why he stubbornly stuck to his campaign limit of $100 a person in the last and toughest election of his career against Jeb Bush, he was firm.

"I won't do it. I have to look at myself in the mirror."

He must have been pretty sure he could catch magic in a bottle one more time, after doing it so many times before.

In his first bid for the governorship in 1990, he and running mate Buddy MacKay raised $5.2 million from 75,000 contributors who gave an average of $70 each.

To give a sense of perspective, top fund raiser Mitt Romney (R) in his bid for the White House 2008 has so far (since the last disclosure on July 15) raised about $34 million from only about 21,000 individual contributors.

And Chiles was only running in one state!

No comments: