July 27, 2007

Walkin' Chattahoochee


As I drove West on highway 90 through Chattahoochee, I was wondering how far I wanted to go. I saw the vista of the Apalachicola River as I drove out of town and I stopped at a Burger King to get out and take pictures. I kept walking--on the gravel first then the grass. I took the pictures but I still hadn't decided whether to push on across the River and deeper into the Panhandle. I wasn't sure I was even right to be going into this town. I couldn't remember if it was in the Walkin' Notes or not. So, I turned around and started back up the hill, planning to get back in the car and go back to Tally.

Then I saw this sign. I knew I was in the right place. I drove up the hill, parked near City Hall, and got out to explore. I felt a whole lot better. The sign spooked me a bit.

Chiles found an arrowhead on the ground just before he got to Chattahoochee:

Yesterday, as I was walking, I looked down and found an arrowhead, and when I found that arrowhead, I knew that I had to be on the right track. After all, if the Indians have come along here, then I must be on the right track. I also found 2 horseshoes and then came to Victory Bridge just outside Chattahoochee. So I know we are getting closer to victory.

Chattahoochee is thought to come from the Creek word for "painted rock."

Mural on one of the buildings downtown. Reminds me of Tom Sawyer.
City Hall and the Police Department.


Chattahoochee round the bend, as he would have walked toward it.


Walking that bridge is treacherous. Lots of big rigs and not much space. I didn't try.

No comments: